June 22, 2013

Tempest (#1 Destroyers Series) by Holly Hook


Sixteen-year-old Janelle knows something's not right with her father when they move to their new home in Florida. He refuses to evacuate them from the coast when a hurricane bears down on them, despite the fact that all their neighbors have gone. Even worse, it seems like there's something he wants to tell her, something terrifying, but he's not quite opening up.

Then Janelle's life flips upside down when a teenage boy, Gary, materializes out of the storm right in front of her. He bears a strange marking on his arm, a gray spiral that matches the one she was born with. Perhaps her strange birthmark means something after all. But when she points out Gary's mark to her father, he refuses to speak more about it. 

It's up to Janelle to find the truth about the connection she and Gary share. When she tracks Gary down again and discovers it, it's far more terrifying than she could ever imagine: she and Gary share a powerful, deadly curse. Worse, learning the truth is only the start of Janelle's horrifying adventure into a world she had never imagined.

My Thoughts

First off, I love the idea of people being storms. It's just an awesome idea that I wish I would have come up with. It's just an interesting way to make the normal paranormal.

I like the characters, the plot, and the idea. It just all spins (pun intended) wonderfully. The only problem I really had was the romance. At times, it was just plain ol' awkward. 

And trust me, I get it. Been there, done that. However, it seemed like a Dia Reeves problem. Like the author was struggling with developing the romantic tension between them. And I wish she could have done a better job of it.

But you really can't beat the price: It's free! :) 

Anyway, let's dissect this book further.


Characters: I love all of the characters. I love the fact that Janelle is discovering the "ugly" side of her family and it helps to understand herself. It's like discovering layer after layer of what makes her . . . Well, her.

I liked Gary. I liked how they both met but I just didn't like the development of the romance. Like I said, it was awkward. I do like the fact that they were willing to go all out for each other.

Other then that, I liked them all. Even the bad guy. They were all believable, thought-out characters.


Plot: Well developed plot as well. I loved how piece by piece was discovered and the more you discovered, the more confusing it was. 

I also would love to add: I HEART the beginning. Sucks you right into the story and gets right to the point. I love how we see the problem from the word go.

I loved how much the author created just enough pressure, just enough acceptance to make us see the real Janelle. It was just nice to see.

Setting: I like the setting in Florida. She didn't wow me with the description of the setting, but there was a good reason why the setting was in Florida. I'll leave it at that. 

Ending: Perfect ending with a bow on top. And it leaves you wanting more. So no complaints here.

Overall: Would I read the second book in this series?

Absolutely!

I still love the idea, care about the characters, and love the plot development.  Additionally, this whole series has major potential. I would just read it to see where she takes this whole storm people thing. How deep does the rabbit hole go.

I would definitely recommend this book to someone who loves paranormal romance but is tired with vampires and werewolves. It's a wonderfully refreshing type of paranormal romance.

Actually, I would recommend this book to people who haven't read YA paranormal romance. This would be a wonderful introduction to the genre. Of course, if my complaint about the romance really bothers some people, then fine. Don't try it.

But I would still give this book a shot. The romance didn't bother me so much that I wouldn't continue the series. It's still solid on characters, plot and setting. What more can you want? :)

No comments:

Post a Comment