June 11, 2012

Author Interview: Raynetta Stocks




Please welcome to Feed My Need, the fabulous romance and YA author, Raynetta Stocks!

When and why did you begin writing?

I received my first journal at six years old; I decorated it with Winnie-the-Pooh stickers. I’ve been writing ever since. As for why, all I can say is that I’ve had a passion for words since I can remember. I have stories built up inside of me; I have to let them out.


What was the hardest part of writing your book? What is the easiest?

The hardest part of writing any book for me is starting. Once you have that solid, engaging beginning, it’s hard to stop. The easiest part for me is the writing. I know my characters so intimately that I don’t find it difficult to develop plot twists they fit well into.


What music do you listen to while you write?

I love Eric Benèt. He’s very soulful and melodic. I like to sing along so I play him quietly in the background J, but he’s gotten me through many nights of writer’s block.


What inspires you?

In a word: life. I try to take the realism of the world around us and put it in terms everyone can identify with. We hear terrible, but incredible, stories every day on the news and in magazines. I’m just trying to translate those occurrences into something less ominous and revolutionary.


Do you have any hidden talents?
I used to want to sing actually J. While I still think I’m better than most, it’s not my forte. Writing is my true calling.


What are your current projects?

I’m working on several actually. I’m developing a collaborative novel called Riding Past Dawn with my best friend and fellow author, J. Mahogany. We are also putting together another prose compilation. I’m currently working on a romance novel, The Devil & I, and I’m developing a YA series called The Lova Chronicles based on some myths I created for a college course.



What book are you reading now?

I’m reading two really good books actually. One is a romance novel by Chicki Brown called Ain’t Nothing Like the Real Thing, which so far is quite incredible. The other is Luna For the Lunies by Ira Nayman. I typically don’t get into sci-fi, but Ira does an incredible job of making the work humorously complicated!


Quick: Vampires or Shapeshifter? Why?

Man, that’s a hard one! I love vampires, but I’d have to go with the Shapeshifter. The shifter characters I’m familiar with are always so sweet and kind-hearted with a hint of the dangerous. So they tend to have much more of a human quality. Vamps are go-hard and ruthless so you always know what you’re going to get with them, but consequently, they tend to be one-dimensional.


Do you have any advice for other writers?

Perseverance is key. Things are not always going to go your way in this business, and sometimes, the only one willing to stand up for you and your work is you. So keep at it, keep honing your craft, and things will be on the up-and-up one day.


Do you have anything specific that you want to say to your readers?

A great big “THANK YOU!” is totally due. I appreciate every reader who picks up my book, whether or not they enjoy what they find. The support is truly appreciated, and I can’t do this without them.


1 comment: