May 21, 2012

Author Interview: Michael Diack!

Please welcome to A Three Way Tie, Michael Diack!

Please tell us a little about yourself.

Hi, I’m Michael Diack, 26 and from UK. I started writing during university and I’ve just released my debut novel, The Super Spud Trilogy, through a company called Pen Press. The book is released now as a paperback and e-book on Amazon. I enjoy music, playing squash, and sailing with my friends.



When and why did you begin writing?

I began writing my novel at the age of 20. I had this idea in my head about crisp packets which came alive once their use-by date expired and that their personality was influenced by their flavoring. Once I began writing I completed the novel in a few months.



What was the hardest part of writing your book? What is the easiest?

I guess the hardest part was the editing phase, having to rewrite and in some cases remove large chunks of your work, but if it benefits the story as a whole then it has to be done. Sometimes I’d be really stuck for ideas, but inspiration would often come when I’d just stop altogether and do something else like play sport or computer games. I guess the easiest part was the first chapter and describing the Super Spuds and the magic rules governing their survival.



What music do you listen to while you write?

Rock music - I love Coheed and Cambria. I usually just listen to their four albums on repeat while I write. Music and writing is the ultimate escape and relaxation for me.



What inspires you?

The support of friends and family is important. Having their feedback and telling me honestly what works and doesn’t is great. The desert where I work is also very inspirational, I know that sounds like an oxymoron; but the landscape with its sand dunes, dust storms, camels and rugged topography is very other-worldly and relaxing.



Do you have any hidden talents?

Unfortunately not, I can play a few Coheed and Cambria songs on guitar but that’s about it. I managed to complete Goldeneye on the N64 on Double-O Agent setting – I was very proud of that achievement.




What are your current projects?

I’m writing another set of adventures concerning the Super Spuds. This time with more flavour personalities and scene locations. I’m also writing some short stories.



What book are you reading now?

Haruki Murakami – IQ84.



Quick: Vampires or Shapeshifter? Why?

Shapeshifter – because then I’m not useless for half of the day.



Do you have any advice for other writers?

Don’t be afraid to change your work, if you know something doesn’t fit just delete it rather than trying to work around it.



Do you have anything specific that you want to say to your readers?

I honestly hope you laugh and enjoy reading about the Super Spuds. I hope to continually improve as a writer and make the next set of adventures even more enjoyable and fun. Any feedback and ideas for the next stories, or suggestions for new flavour personalities, I’d be happy to hear about.


The Super Spud Trilogy

Genetic engineering has accomplished many things, one of which has been to create the Super Spud! The humble potato elevated to new heights, creating the most flavoursome crisps ever known to humankind! But that's not all - A magical transformation occurs to all Super Spud crisps not eaten before their use-by date. They take on a life of their own. And so long as they remain undetected by humans, they enjoy life in their own Super Spud cities, take part in major Super Spud sporting events and even start the odd Super Spud war or two. Join Colin, Cougar, Hannibal Vector, Generals Rock, Jock and Strap and all the others in their rollicking adventures. You'll never look at a packet of crisps in the same way again! Fun, quirky and totally original, Michael Diack's debut is strictly for those who are still big kids at heart.

No comments:

Post a Comment