April 9, 2012

Author Interview: Carol Cassada

Please welcome to A Three Way Tie, the fabulous romance author, Carol Cassada!

I'm just a young woman from the small town of Ringgold, VA who's living her dream of being a writer.

In December 2008 I started my first book Going Home Again, which was released February 24, 2010 by Romance Divine. I can't tell you how wonderful it felt, to have my work published was a dream come true.

Now my second book Westmore, the first in a line of volumes is about to be released. This time I went the self publishing route with Createspace. I'm currently working on Volume 2 of Westmore and hope to have it out by the end of the year.

Aside from my love of reading and writing, I enjoy spending time with my supportive parents, my two brother who love to tease me, and my three dogs and two cats.

Check out her website for more info here!


When and why did you begin writing?

I became interested in writing during high school when I took creative writing classes.

My teen years were tough, I didn’t feel like I fit in, I made bad grades, and plus my parents were splitting up. So I used writing as a form of escapism, it helped relax me, take my mind off my problems. Once I started writing, my life changed. I was happier and my grades improved. I loved it so much that I decided to make it my life’s dream.

I went to college, took more writing classes, and earned a degree in Professional Writing. Originally I wanted to write for the newspaper, but then I switched gears and choose to become an author. After graduating in December 2008, I began writing my first book Going Home Again, then a year later it was accepted by Romance Divine and released in February 2010.

This past year, I went the self-publishing route and released the first two volumes in the Westmore series, which I describe as a combination of romance novels and soap operas.



What was the hardest part of writing your book? What is the easiest?

The easiest part is thinking of the characters and the plot. The hardest part is revision. When you first finish the manuscript, you assume everything’s perfect and it’s ready to turn in. Yet, when you read through it again, you notice spelling and grammar mistakes that you missed. Then another problem is you realize a scene’s not going to work and you cut it out, then it can end up affecting the flow of the story. That’s the way it is with me. I had a list of ideas planned out for each volume of the Westmore series, yet when I started on the sequel I realized some of the ideas weren’t going to work, and I switched them to a later volume. Sure it’s a pain, but in the end I think it works out in the long run.


What music do you listen to while you write?

I always listen to music while I write because it gets me in a creative mood. I’m a rock n’ roll girl, and each day I’ve got a different band playing. Some of my favs are Ted Nugent, Ozzy Osbourne, and The Eagles.


What inspires you?

Soap operas helped with the Westmore series; I’m a huge fan of them, that’s where I got my dose of romance and drama. At one time I thought of being a screenwriter for the daytime serials. I had a notebook where I wrote characters and storylines. Then I was trying to decide what to write for my second book, I pulled out my old notebook and decided to turn my soap opera ideas into a book series.


Do you have any hidden talents?

I sometimes sing, although I don’t have that great of a voice, so you won’t be seeing me on American Idol any time soon. I usually sing when I’m alone.


What are your current projects?

I’m working on volumes 3 and 4 of the Westmore series, which will be released later this year. Plus I’m working on a paranormal romance story involving a vampire and a vampire hunter.


What book are you reading now?

I’m reading two books at once, Animals and the Afterlife, along with Haunting Illinois. Next it’ll be Afterlives of the Rich and Famous by Sylvia Browne.


Quick: Vampires or Shapeshifter? Why?

I like both, but I’d lean more towards vampires because there’s something romantic about immortality.

And plus my brothers say I sometimes act like a vampire, cause I’m up all night and sleep most of the day.


Do you have any advice for other writers?

The important advice is don’t give up. When I first started out I got rejected numerous times by publishers, and I felt like calling it quits, but I pressed on and got my book published. Another piece of advice I’d like to offer writers is to consider self-publishing. I was the type of person who never thought I’d be an indie author, but now I am and I have to say it was the best choice I ever made.


Do you have anything specific that you want to say to your readers?

Thank you for your support and I hope you’ll continue to be there with me on my journey. Enjoy my books and stay tuned for the drama.



No comments:

Post a Comment